California's Premier Insurance Litigation Firm: An Overview
Callahan & Blaine is California's Premier Litigation Firm. Founded in 1984, Callahan & Blaine has been achieving record-breaking verdicts and settlements for over 28 years in all areas of complex litigation. For example, Callahan & Blaine has the highest jury verdict in Orange County history, a $934 million jury verdict achieved after a three-month trial in Beckman Coulter v. Flextronics, a complex business litigation case. Likewise, in a complex of municipal liability cases, Callahan & Blaine obtained a $50 million settlement that has been certified by West Trial Digest as the largest personal injury settlement in the history of the United States.
Callahan & Blaine Represents Policy Holders
Callahan & Blaine has a nationwide reputation as one of the premier insurance litigation law firms in the United States. Under the leadership of the chair of its Insurance Law Department, Edward Susolik, Callahan & Blaine has been on the cutting edge of insurance law, insurance litigation and the representation of policyholder interests for over 28 years. Callahan & Blaine's successes and accomplishments in the area of insurance litigation include the following:
• Callahan & Blaine has obtained a $58 Million insurance bad faith judgment, which is the largest insurance bad faith judgment in Orange County history.
• Since 1984, Callahan & Blaine has obtained numerous precedent-setting appellate court victories which greatly expanded the availability of insurance coverage for policyholders, both corporate and individual. For example, in the 1995 opinion entitled Sentex v. Hartford, Callahan & Blaine successfully obtained insurance coverage for trade secret misappropriation claims. Likewise, Callahan & Blaine has obtained many successful appellate victories for the expansion of advertising injury coverage to include intellectual property disputes, including several court opinions which found that patent infringement was covered by advertising injury coverage.
• Callahan & Blaine has obtained over $1 billion in policyholder benefits for its corporate and individual clients during the last 18 years alone.
• Callahan & Blaine has successfully handled over 1,000 insurance bad faith lawsuits and disputes, including many seven-figure verdicts and settlements. In one case, Callahan & Blaine represented a Homeowners Association and obtained a settlement of over $8 million on behalf of the HOA and its homeowners.
• Callahan & Blaine frequently represents corporations and companies who are defendants in complex litigation disputes, including intellectual property claims, unfair competition, trade secret claims and numerous other complex business litigation scenarios. Callahan & Blaine is able to use its insurance expertise to maximize the insurance coverage available to its corporate clients and obtain millions of dollars of insurance benefits, including successfully resolving the underlying business disputes using insurance company money.
Broad Spectrum of Insurance Disputes
Callahan & Blaine has a wide expertise in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation covering the full spectrum of insurance law. In addition to representing policyholders — both corporate and individual — Callahan & Blaine also has extensive experience in representation of insurance and professionals, including agents, brokers and insurance companies in disputes within the insurance industry, including litigation with reinsurers, excess insurers and the Department of Insurance. Callahan & Blaine attorneys are also frequently called upon to render expert witness advice in litigation.
Further, Callahan & Blaine handles the full spectrum of insurance representation for its clients. As one of the leading litigation firms in the United States, Callahan & Blaine has extensive experience in the trial and litigation of complex insurance bad faith and insurance coverage disputes, whether in the federal or state courts. Callahan & Blaine also frequently represents policyholders who have disputes with their insurance carriers outside of the litigation process. Callahan & Blaine uses its extensive 28-year-plus experience of successfully negotiating insurance disputes to assist its corporate and individual policy holder clients in resolving their insurance disputes short of litigation. In addition, Callahan & Blaine is frequently called upon by parties in litigation to provide expert assistance with respect to insurance issues.
Finally, Callahan & Blaine has over 28 years experience in settling and mediating disputes, whether business or insurance related disputes. Callahan & Blaine attorneys have successfully settled hundreds of cases because of their insurance law expertise. Callahan & Blaine attorneys understand that insurance settles cases.
Experience Counts When You're Dealing With an Insurance Company
We don't have junior associates at Callahan & Blaine. Each of our more than 20 lawyers is an accomplished attorney with at least nine years experience and focused knowledge of several substantive legal disciplines and highly developed trial skills. In fact, most Callahan & Blaine senior attorneys have at least 15 to 20 years of courtroom experience, and bring more than 500 years of combined experience to bear on complex litigation and insurance problems of all kinds.
As a result, we can work simultaneously under defense or prosecution of complex civil claims while expertly handling any insurance coverage issues and problems that arise and have a major impact on the ultimate resolution of the case.
Callahan & Blaine represents corporate, small business, professional and individual clients in complex litigation and insurance disputes in Orange County and Southern California. To learn more how you can benefit from our ability to integrate sophisticated analysis of insurance coverage issues with superior trial skills, contact Callahan & Blaine at our office in Santa Ana, Orange County, California.